Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Thing #2 - Pointers from Life Long Learners

I love to learn new things and see myself as a life long learner. I am good at setting a goal and then working toward meeting that goal. However because I am a scattered thinker, I may get sidetracked at times, but eventually come back to the original goal. I am good at accepting responsibility for my own learning and enjoy finding the tools I need in order to fully understand what I am learning about. I enjoy challenges. However, sometimes I am an impatient learner and have to stop myself from moving on to something else when I am faced with a challenge. I have seen what I have been able to learn over the years including how to fly an airplane. That experience plus countless others have given me confidence in myself as a competent effective learner. Those experiences have also taught me a lot about my learning style which is important in order to not get discouraged if it takes me a while to learn a new thing. I am a dinosaur when it comes to using technology. I found I learn how to use technology best when I have to use it. If I use it over and over again I eventually am able to use it easily. I think one reason I love teaching so much is that I am constantly learning as I teach. Even though I have taught math for the past 27 years I am constantly learning new things from so many sources including my students. Every time I learn something new, it is a new exciting discovery to me. When I mentor someone, I truly understand their frustrations because I experienced them along the way too. It is especially fun to find the best way to help someone learn something they don't understand. I love to play and have fun with something I have learned. The more opportunities I have to use what I have learned in a fun playful way, the more I understand what I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment